Tech billionaire Peter Thiel is updating his Woodland Normanstone mansion with a $1.6 million renovation that involves two additions and scrapping an present pool for a new one particular.
In accordance to options on the net submitted to DCRA, the PayPal co-founder enlisted architects at Georgetown’s Barnes Vanze, which also handled Jeff Bezos’ D.C. renovation. Horizon Builders, who did Dan Snyder’s Potomac household, among other neighborhood mega-residential assignments, is the normal contractor.
- New York-based Paul Renwick Design and style is executing the interiors.
A few reno highlights we gleaned from the designs:
- Thiel is blowing out his most important bed room to produce a lot more of a suite, as well as including a different bedroom and bathtub for a complete of seven beds, six whole and 4 fifty percent bogs.
- Several interior partitions are getting torn down to reconfigure the house. There are backyard, rec, and screening rooms, additionally a selected area for stability and a workers lounge.
Catch up quick: The Beaux Arts mansion — which Thiel bought from Trump’s commerce secretary Wilbur Ross for $13 million utilizing an LLC — gives the tech titan an about 6,000-sq.-foot household footprint inside the Beltway.
- A weighty hitter in conservative GOP fundraising circles and a longtime supporter of Donald Trump, Thiel is supporting various Trump-backed candidates in the midterms. His software package business Palantir has an workplace in McLean and is intensely associated in government do the job.
- Thiel’s new neighbors incorporate previous Trump advisers Kellyanne Conway and Steven Mnuchin.
Of notice: Photographs submitted to DCRA exhibit the dwelling had an old-funds sense, with gilded chandeliers, one particular space fully included in crimson (together with the ceiling), and at least one bathroom coated in inexperienced marble. Thiel is adding some added traditional touches these types of as mahogany and French doorways.
Zoom out: Thiel’s worldwide true estate portfolio has included properties in California, Maui, and Miami (the latter sits on an unique gentleman-built island). His programs for a large compound on 477 acres of land in New Zealand were being turned down by nearby officers past month.
Editor’s be aware: This tale was corrected to replicate that Wilbur Ross was Trump’s commerce secretary, not labor secretary.